Om Aim Saraswatyai Namaha Explained
Om Aim Saraswatyai Namaha translates to “Salutations to Saraswati”, the goddess of speech, communication, poetry and music.
Saraswati Mantra: Meaning and Pronunciation
|Saraswati Mantra||Om Aim Sarasvatyai Namaha|
|Pronunciation||Oom eye-m suh-ruhs-vuht-yeye nuh-muh-huh|
|English Translation||Salutations to Saraswati|
|Sanskrit IAST||oṃ aiṃ sarasvatyai namaḥ|
|Sanskrit Devanāgarī||ॐ ऐं सरस्वत्यै नमः|
Om Aim Saraswatyai Namaha Meaning
Oṃ bīja mantra (pranic energy)
- Oṃ is the sound of the universe
- Say: “oom”
- The sound of: Īśvara (Ishvara)
- Purpose: opening and clearing your mind for meditation. 1Frawley p. 82
Aiṃ bīja mantra (Energy of sound)
- Aiṃ is the feminine counterpart of Oṃ and often follows Oṃ in various chants.
- Say: “aym”
- The sound of: Goddess Sarasvatī (Sarasvati)
- It’s about: learning, art, expression and communication.
Sarasvatī is the Goddess of speech, communication, poetry and music.
Namaḥ is the mantra of reverence and surrender.
Purpose: honoring and surrendering to the deity (used with names)