This series of powerful bīja (single-syllable) mantras are used in the worship of Śakti. They are special Śakti mantras for each of the great goddesses.
List of 10 Shakti Bija Mantras
The 10 Śaktī bīja mantras are:
|क्लीं||klīṃ||“kleem”||Kṛṣṇa & Sundarī|
|त्रीं||trīṃ||“treem”||Goddess Tārā, Triśūla|
How To Pronounce Sanskrit Mantras
Not sure how to pronounce Sanskrit mantras and other Sanskrit words? This FREE Sanskrit pronunciation guide will help you in learning the proper pronunciation:
Shakti Bija Mantras Explained: Pronunciation and Meaning
Śaktī “Shakti” is pronounced “Shuck-tee”. Śakti is the female elemental force and primordial cosmic energy of the universe.1https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakti
Oṃ bīja mantra (pranic energy)
- Oṃ is the sound of the universe
- Say: “oom”
- The sound of: Īśvara (Ishvara)
- Purpose: opening and clearing your mind for meditation. 2Frawley p. 82
Just as all rivers commingle in the ocean, all mantras may be said to be merged in the supreme mantra Om.Swami Krishnananda: In The Light Of Wisdom.
Aiṃ bīja mantra (Energy of sound)
- Aiṃ is the feminine counterpart of Oṃ and often follows Oṃ in various chants.
- Say: “aym”
- The sound of: Goddess Sarasvatī (Sarasvati)
- It’s about: learning, art, expression and communication.
Hrīṃ bīja mantra (electric energy)
- Hrīṃ energizes and directs the power of prāṇa. It is the main Śakti mantra.
- Say: “hreem”
- The sound of: Śakti, Goddess Durgā
- Purpose: energizing your heart and providing warmth.
- It’s about: magical force, captivation and empowerment.
- Body part: your heart (spiritual heart, heart chakra, emotional heart and the physical organ).
Hlīṃ bīja mantra (power to stop)
- Hlīṃ brings the seed sounds of space (Ha) and earth (La) together.
- Say: “hleem”
- The sound of: Goddess Baglāmukhī (Bagalamukhi)
- It’s about: holding and stabilizing the the power of prāṇa.
Hūṃ bīja mantra (power of fire)
- Hūṁ relates to fierce forms of the Goddess like Kali [kālī], Chandi [caṇḍī] and Chinnamasta [chinnamastā].
- Say: “hoom”
- The sound of: Lord Śiva (Lord Shiva)
- Purpose: setting your fiery energy in motion and strengthening your immune system.
Krīṃ Bīja mantra (electric energy)
- Krīṃ, the “seed syllable of Yoga practice”.
- Say: “kreem”
- The sound of: Goddess Kālī
- It’s about: work, yoga and transformative energy.
- Purpose: energizing things to the highest level
- Note: It is a strong mantra and should be recited with care.
Klīṃ bīja mantra (magnetic energy)
- Klīṁ is the softer, watery, more feminine aspect of Krīṁ
- Say: “kleem”
- The sound of: Kṛṣṇa and Sundarī (Krishna and Sundari)
- It’s about: love and devotion
- Purpose: helps you to achieve our true wishes in life.3Frawley p. 92
Śrīṃ bīja mantra (lunar energy)
- Śrīṃ is the mantra of faith, devotion, refuge and surrender
- Say: “shreem”
- The sound of: Goddess Lakṣhmī (Lakshmi)
- Second name: “Rāma Bīja”, it is also worshipping Lord Rāma.
- It’s about: the feeling aspect of your heart.4Frawley p. 90
Strīṃ bīja mantra (power to stabilize)
- Say: “streem”
- The sound of: Goddess Tārā
- Purpose: increasing Shakti (feminine energy).
Trīṃ bīja mantra (power to transcend)
- Say: “treem”
- The sound of: Also Goddess Tārā but more specifically a mantra of fire, as well as it’s the seed mantra of the Triśūla (Trishula; the weapon of Lord Shiva).
- Purpose: taking you across difficulties and overcoming inimical foreces.
Printable Download: Shakti Bija Mantra PDF
- Digital download ready to print at home
- 10 Bija Mantras
- High-resolution digital PDF files (10 pages)
- 2 sizes: Letter (8.5×11 inch) and Din A4 (21×29,7 cm)
Frawley, David (2010:87-94): Mantra Yoga and Primal Sound. Secret of Seed (Bija) Mantras
[…] View 10 Shakti Bija-Mantras […]