Mahā-Gaṇapati means “Ganesha, the Great”1Subramuniyaswami p. 71 and mūla means “root”. This mantra contains many bīja (single-syllable) mantras.
Mahā-Gaṇapati Mūla Mantra Translation: Sanskrit and English
|Mantra||Om Shrim Hrim Klim Glaum Gam Ganapataye Vara Varada Sarva Jana Me Vashamanaya Swaha|
|Say||Oom Shreem Hreem Kleem Gloum Gum Gun-up-ut-uh-ye Vuh-ruh Vuh-ruh-duh Sur-vuh Juh-nuh Me Vush-uh-maan-uh-yuh Swaa-haa|
|Meaning||May Ganesha bring all things that concern me under my control.2Stephen Sturgess (2015:169) The Supreme Art and Science of Raja and Kriya Yoga|
|Sanskrit IAST||oṃ śrīṃ hrīṃ klīṃ glauṃ gaṃ gaṇapataye varavarada sarvajanaṃ me vaśamānaya svāhā|
|Sanskrit Devanāgarī||ॐ श्रीं ह्रीं क्लीं ग्लौं गं गणपतये वर वरद सर्वजनं मे वशमानय स्वाहा|
Maha Ganapati Mantra Printable Download (Kirtan)
Use this print at home poster of the Maha Ganapati Mantra for your mantra chanting (Kirtan) practice or decorate your yoga space.
How To Pronounce Sanskrit Mantras
Not sure how to pronounce Sanskrit mantras and other Sanskrit words? This FREE Sanskrit pronunciation guide will help you in learning the proper pronunciation:
Bija Mantras Explained: Om, Shreem, Hreem, Kleem, Glaum, Gam
A detailed explanation for the bīja mantras oṃ, śrīṃ, hrīṃ, klīṃ, glauṃ and gaṃ.
Oṃ bīja mantra (pranic energy)
- Oṃ is the sound of the universe
- Say: “oom”
- The sound of: Īśvara (Ishvara)
- Purpose: opening and clearing your mind for meditation. 3Frawley p. 82
Śrīṃ bīja mantra (lunar energy)
- Śrīṃ is the mantra of faith, devotion, refuge and surrender
- Say: “shreem”
- The sound of: Goddess Lakṣhmī (Lakshmi)
- Second name: “Rāma Bīja”, it is also worshipping Lord Rāma.
- It’s about: the feeling aspect of your heart.4Frawley p. 90
Hrīṃ bīja mantra (electric energy)
- Hrīṃ energizes and directs the power of prāṇa. It is the main Śakti mantra.
- Say: “hreem”
- The sound of: Śakti, Goddess Durgā
- Purpose: energizing your heart and providing warmth.
- It’s about: magical force, captivation and empowerment.
- Body part: your heart (spiritual heart, heart chakra, emotional heart and the physical organ).
Klīṃ bīja mantra (magnetic energy)
- Klīṁ is the softer, watery, more feminine aspect of Krīṁ
- Say: “kleem”
- The sound of: Kṛṣṇa and Sundarī (Krishna and Sundari)
- It’s about: love and devotion
- Purpose: helps you to achieve our true wishes in life.5Frawley p. 92
Glauṃ is a bīja mantra for Gaṇeśa.
- Glauṃ combines the sounds G and L with the mantra Auṃ.
- G-sound: the power of movement and accomplishment.
- L-sound: stabilizing and harmonizing energy.
- Purpose: removing obstacles and clearing your path.6Frawley p. 92
- Say: “Gloum”
Gaṃ is a bīja mantra for Gaṇeśa.
Gaṇapataye means “to Gaṇapati”, another name for Gaṇeśa.
Subramuniyaswami, Satguru Sivaya (2000): Loving Ganesha